Sunday, November 27, 2011

Fall in Bend...

In October we went to visit my mom and family in Bend. I planned our trip around a few events one of which was the ribbon cutting and building dedication for the new Cascade Culinary Institute building which my dad was instrumental in developing and founding at COCC. It was a two day event, the ribbon cutting being the first day and the dedication the second. All of my siblings were able to be at the building dedication except Carley and Sarah. My dad was really passionate about the culinary program so it was really special to be there in his honor. My aunt (my dad's sister) and her husband also were able to attend. On the evening of the building dedication there were cooking demonstrations and tours of the building... the events were orchestrated so nicely. At one point during the evening everyone gathered in the Elevation restaurant as the president of the college recognized those who were responsible in developing and funding the Culinary program. There were so many people responsible in developing this program but I loved how he took the time to talk specifically about my dad and recognized my mom in attendance as well as our family. He stated at the beginning of the presentation that the building had been a 20 year project in the making and then circled back to that comment later recognizing my father and his vision in developing the recreation and hospitality program with Julian Darwin. It was such a neat moment and one in which my dad had to be smiling down on... watching his career vision come to pass with his family there to celebrate. The building manager (who was responsible in the construction of the building), Rob Ring was our old neighbor. He also had a special interest in honoring my dad and put some of my dad's belongings in the ceiling of the bakery room before it was sealed. In addition, there is a memorial in the building honoring my dad. His book: Foodservice Profitability: A Control Approach co-authored with Ed Sanders is in the culinary library at the front of the building and will also be with his memorial plaque. I'm so glad that I was able to attend. I felt so proud of my dad. I wish that I brought my camera but I will document in the future and post.


Here are pictures from our visit:

Carley with Hudson... such a cute mom!

Bentley and Greyson... hanging with Corbin their cousin visiting from Alaska.

Greyson hanging out with uncle Ryan
Bentley with such concentration.
I probably shouldn't openly admit that I took Greyson and Bentley to McDonald's (fortunately only a few times however I'm sure it will only increase) but these pics were so cute. I let them sit at the table like big kids for the first time and they LOVED it.





Greyson visiting Tutkee... He brought a pumpkin that he picked for him.

1 comment:

  1. The picture of shane with the babes, in their costumes, IN the grocery store is PERFECTION! Love it !

    ReplyDelete