Sunday, September 4, 2011

Dad you will be greatly missed...

For documentation purposes, I wanted to include the comments I read at my dad's funeral service:

Dad, I admire everything about you, the way you led your life, the way you communicated, the person you were, and the life accomplishments you achieved. You were a man who demonstrated your beliefs through your actions and always spoke with direction.  Your kind heart has affected all that are here to celebrate your life. I am honored to stand as your daughter to express my gratitude to have had a father such as you.  You have continually demonstrated gratitude throughout my life with the way you treated mom, by sharing your testimony and the way you treated others. During my dad’s first bone marrow transplant in Seattle, I was with mom and dad at a late night follow-up appointment at the hospital. A nurse helped him with his treatment and we were tiredly leaving the hospital. We took the elevator and were on our way out when my dad stopped and said, “I forgot to thank her.” I was thinking that is sweet and thought we would continue on but then my dad said, “I’ll be right back” and turned and went back up the elevator to go personally thank the nurse. Such a quiet act of gratitude and service spoke profoundly to me to never leave anything unspoken nor unexpressed and to show gratitude in all circumstances. Dad you have taught me the most important things in life: to love my savior, my family and my husband Shane. I feel like those were also the most important things to you: your testimony of Jesus Christ, our family and the love of your life, mom. You have demonstrated nothing but kindness my entire life. My dad never spoke unkind and was always aware of others needs, which he flawlessly placed before his own. You always followed up your advice by demonstrating through action. I know that you will always be with me. I love the way that you loved and cared for mom throughout your life until your last moments. I was with my mom (unknown to her or I) when he spoke his last words to her, expressing his love for her, stating that he loved her as tears streamed from his eyes. I feel like it was a gift to be with you both in that moment. In a note to my mom dad said: “ I love you. You constantly amaze me. You are my life and you are the reason I am what I am. If this life is a precursor of life to be then I am indeed a very fortunate man.” Mom, dad loves you more than anything and is one in you. Dad, I hold you in the highest regard and hope to share in your legacy of life by being true, showering all with love, sharing your infectious laugh, living in peace, persevering, gaining knowledge, increasing my faith and improving myself by continually showing gratitude. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet Chelsea!! I cried reading this. You were and are truly blessed by goodly parents who love you dearly, as do we all. You are in our thoughts and prayers and I wish that we could have been there for you. Please know how much you are loved and missed!!

    ReplyDelete